12 April, 2007

A more thought-out continuation

Well, I don't know how to directly link MP3s into this thing, nor can I find an actual music video for this song, but I want to put it in so...here is. It's just the song with a boring backdrop that never changes, but the point is that the song is there and in good quality (unlike most of the videos, which are cell phone video recordings of live performances).



The song is called 'Swing Life Away' and always manages to make me feel a little better. Granted, I'm still feeling quite shitty about the money situation, but despite how romanticized the song is it's still a reminder that Crystal and I aren't the only people in a really bad way who nevertheless manage to get by.

In fact, it got me thinking about pretty much all my close friends who've ever been eating disordered or major depressive or just plain crazy... One of the biggest consequences that never gets mentioned publicly is DEBT. All of us seem to be in major sort of debt. More than half have been forced to drop out of college. We've all got incredible hospital bills looming over us, nutritionists, therapists, psychiatrists, medications, ER bills and surgeries.

Continuing briefly on that last comment: yes, surgeries. I have no doubt that, in some way, my poor physical health contributed to me needing my shoulder surgery when I did. I've had joint problems for some time which I have no doubt are resultant from malnutrition taking a toll. Many other girls have nasogastric tubes to pay for, surgery to correct gastroparesis or perforated esophaguses. Surgery and eating disorders have a pretty damn high correlation from what I've seen. I mean, lets be honest.

Eating disorders don't just f-k with your head: they destroy your health. They suppress your immune system leading to a higher instance of other illnesses (i.e. chronic mononucleosis, in my case), brittle bones and osteoporosis, weakened muscular system, damaged tendons and ligaments, liver and kidney problems, tooth decay, on and on. These are all the quiet consequences no one notices until the systems start to break down, and then don't realize that they are, in fact, due to the eating disorder.

Sooo... I'm in a lot of debt. But I'm also not the only one. Maybe I just complain more, and more publicly? Who knows... Today I'm calling AES and the independent lender and working out payment plans, as well as sending off the first small check to start repaying my hospital bill.

I keep trying to remind myself that yes, I've got a lot of people to repay, but I'm only twenty years old. (Did you know that?) I may feel like I'm fifty, but in reality my parents aren't even quite that old. I've got a long time left, hopefully, and if by some freak accident I did kick the bucket then I wouldnt' have to worry about those debts anymore, anyway. Even if it took me ten years to repay these I'd be free by the time I'm thirty.

That's really not so bad in the grand scheme of things...

Right?

3 comments:

Jessica said...

i love this song :) it reminds me of my best friends at home...makes me happy

Aisling. said...

Uhh, hi :)
I'm leaving this comment on this entry, but I guess it's in reply to every entry I've looked at [coincidentally only the ones on this first page, I found your page today via PostSecret] & I really admire what you're doing.

Recently, one of my friends, well, idk, she's been slowly developing an eating disorder but refuses to come to terms with it, & idk, maybe sees the "glamerous" side of it (she wants to model when she's older) & as much as I want to help her, her continually talking about weight & weight loss & weight gain has made me more & more self concious about the way I look too - something that even though I've discussed with my psychologist, I don't want to tell her - she'll feel guilty & will end up spiralling into a circle of not eating due to it.

I'll send her the url of your blog & the story with the tshirts (which I also admire) & then maybe she'll wise up - although I doubt it, it'll maybe make me feel a little better, trying to do something more to help in a situation that I know I have no control over.

Anyway, long comment :) if you have a myspace (www.myspace.com/theworldyoulove__x) then idk, add me or something, it'd be good to hear from someone who knows the reality of eating disorders, rather than the numerous profiles i've seen with comments showing "thinspiration" for women & girls who're continually starving themselves.

Aisling x.

(i also havent written in this blog for months, & the posts arent that interesting either, so i wouldn't look at it expecting something good lol :])

Ashlee said...

I saw your story via postsecert and I admire and love what you are doing. I only wish I had had the strenght to do something like your doing when I was struggling the worst with my own problem. I was very lucky to have some good friends that supported me to getting better. But something I had struggled with since 5th grade became a hard thing to change.
I did a lot on my own and I think it is becuase of that that I still find myself idealizing that time of my life. We also had a friend with bulima when we were in High School that was disgnosed & treated with Bulmia and that in turn helped me some. I know what your going through especially being at college now. I spent my first year of college at home for finanical reasons and for the personal fear that I would fall into old habits again.

I wish you the best with this battle and I think what you are doing for yourself and others is amazing and takes a lot of strenght. Thank you for sharing your story. I will be back to by a shirt soon!
wishing you the best
ashlee